Connect Subdomain to Shopify: Easy Steps
Connect Subdomain to Shopify: Easy Steps
Table of Contents
- Connecting a Subdomain with a Shopify Website
- Choosing a Domain Provider
- Accessing GoDaddy Account
- Domain Set-Up to Connect with Shopify
- Manual Connection Setup Process
- DNS Configuration Changes
- Setting Up a CNAME Record
- Verifying Connection to Shopify
- Making Your New Domain Primary
- Troubleshooting Common Issues
- Pros and Cons of Using a Subdomain with Shopify
Connecting a Subdomain with a Shopify Website
A subdomain is a part of the website domain name that can be used as a separate website itself. With Shopify, you can register your own custom domain or use a free domain provided by Shopify. However, when you want to use a subdomain for your Shopify website, you need to connect it first. In this article, we will explain how to connect a subdomain with a Shopify website using GoDaddy.
Choosing a Domain Provider
Before proceeding with the subdomain connection process, you need to choose a domain provider that offers subdomain creation. GoDaddy is one popular domain provider that has this feature.
Accessing GoDaddy Account
Once you have chosen GoDaddy as your domain provider, go to the GoDaddy website, and log in to your account.
Domain Set-Up to Connect with Shopify
From your GoDaddy account dashboard, navigate to the domain set-up menu, and choose 'connect existing domain.' Next, you need to enter your desired custom subdomain name. For example, if you want your subdomain to be named "doc," type "doc" in the subdomain field and add your domain name, so that it looks like "doc.yourdomainname.com."
Manual Connection Setup Process
When connecting a subdomain with a Shopify website, you need to select the 'connect manually' option. This will give you access to the DNS configuration settings.
DNS Configuration Changes
In the DNS configuration section, you need to add two records: an "A" record and a "CNAME" record.
Setting Up a CNAME Record
For the CNAME record, you need to add the subdomain name and domain name in the required fields. In the "name" field, type the subdomain name (eg. "doc"). In the "address" field, add the address that you had copied earlier from your Shopify account.
Verifying Connection to Shopify
After adding the DNS configuration changes, it's time to verify the connection to Shopify. To do this, click on the 'verify connection' button on your Shopify account. You should see a confirmation message stating that the connection has been established successfully.
Making Your New Domain Primary
The final step is to make your custom subdomain your website's primary domain. To do this, go back to your Shopify account and select the 'set up primary' option. Your new subdomain will now become your primary Shopify domain.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
If you face any connectivity issues, double-check the DNS configuration settings, and retry the manual connection process. If you are still experiencing issues, contact Shopify support for further assistance.
Pros and Cons of Using a Subdomain with Shopify
- Allows you to create multiple websites within a single domain name
- Enables you to categorize your content and products in a more organized manner
- Adds an extra level of security to your website
- Can be complex and technical to set up for beginners
- Subdomains may affect your website's search engine ranking
- Possibility of spreading your SEO authority across multiple domains
Overall, connecting a subdomain with a Shopify website can be beneficial when used correctly. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily connect your subdomain and improve your website's organization.
- Connecting a subdomain with a Shopify website involves multiple steps.
- GoDaddy is a popular domain provider that offers subdomain creation.
- DNS configuration changes need to be made to establish the connection successfully.
- Setting up a CNAME record is one of the critical steps in this process.
- Shopify support can help you troubleshoot any issues you may face during the process.
Q. How do I choose a subdomain name for my Shopify website? A. Choose a subdomain name that reflects the content or products that you plan to offer on your website.
Q. Can I use multiple subdomains with a Shopify website? A. Yes, you can create multiple subdomains for different categories of content or products on your website.
Q. Does using a subdomain affect SEO for my Shopify website? A. It may affect your search engine ranking if not implemented correctly. Make sure to follow the proper connection process to mitigate this risk.
Q. Do I need technical knowledge to connect a subdomain with a Shopify website? A. Some technical knowledge is required to configure DNS settings; however, following the steps outlined in this article can help simplify the process.
I am a shopify merchant, I am opening several shopify stores. I use ppspy to find Shopify stores and track competitor stores. PPSPY really helped me a lot, I also subscribe to PPSPY's service, I hope more people can like PPSPY！ — Ecomvy
To make it happen in 3 seconds.
- App rating
- Shopify Store
- Trusted Customers
- No complicated
- No difficulty
- Free trial
- The Hidden Reality of One-Product Stores
- Mastering Taxes for Young Entrepreneurs
- Mastering Taxes for Online Business Owners
- Why Dropshipping Stores Outperform Aliexpress for Online Shopping
- The Ultimate Guide to Dropshipping: How It Works and What You Need to Know
- Mastering Profit Calculations for Your Amazon Business
- Discover the Best Dropshipping Companies: A Comprehensive Guide
- Boost Your Trading Success with Mechanical Rules
- The Ultimate Guide to Dropshipping with Big Cartel
- Master Drop Shipping with Bigcommons